Oral language knowledge of word meanings
How do I know if building Vocabulary knowledge is my student's most pressing need?
- Child can recognize words fairly accurately, but word meanings or background knowledge continually impede his/her comprehension of the text.
- Child repeatedly cannot decode words that typically-developing, native-English speakers could decode because the words are not in his/her oral vocabulary (often the case with English-Language Learners).
Which TRI strategies most efficiently target a student's Vocabulary needs?
- Guided Oral Reading, especially thematic texts
- Using the TRI Picture Dictionary during Word Work
- TRI Extensions that target Vocabulary, e.g.,
- Re-Reading for Fluency, with special focus on learning the meanings of the target vocabulary