Understanding the written text
How do I know if Comprehension is my student's most pressing need?
- Child does not understand a grade€“level text even if you read it aloud to her.
Which strategies most efficiently target a student's Comprehension needs?
- Guided Oral Reading, with particular focus on strategy instruction for comprehension, such as retelling and making personal connections
TRI Extensions that target Comprehension, e.g.,
- Acting out the story for a peer or another adult
- Completing a story web or a Before, During, and After chard, etc
- Telling a peer or another adult what he/she liked about the passage or what he/she learned from the text
- Re-Reading for Fluency, with special focus on gaining a better understanding of the text
- Re-Reading as a TRI Extension